Bowling Green, KY
The Welding Engineer is a valuable role responsible for providing support in welding-related technical questions. Tasks include reviewing customer and standard requirements as well as managing and improving welding data to optimize productivity.
Weld Engineer is responsible for developing welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to problems involving fabrication of metals, utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles. Conducts research and development investigations to develop and test new fabrication processes and procedures, improve existing or develop new welding equipment, develop new or modify current welding methods, techniques, and procedures.
Essential Functions and Key Accountability
- Develop and validate weld process sheets and welding parameters for each production welding station.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the shielding gas system and track consumption rates and mixture.
- Monitor welding consumables and weld wire, and identify and implement cost saving opportunities.
- Monitor and control gas consumption mix and welding wire.
- Develop, conduct, and coordinate welder training classes for support technicians in application and validation of weld process.
- Provide technical support for robotic program on assembly processes.
- Facilitate the analysis of weld coupons and provide technical assistance to the assembly areas.
- Ensure the customer welding specifications on cut & etch test and welding defect process.
- Implement process improvements due to weld failures and defects.
- Ensure accurate documentation of all manual and robotic weld parameters and weld audit reports, and develop and maintain a welding reference library.
- Develop and administer preventive maintenance program consistent with maintenance department.
- Proactive involvement in the innovation and application of new technologies to improve the welding process.
- Attention to special requirements of operational employees, quality staff, and engineering changes.
- Participate in training at the vocational school and work to develop in-house training needs.
- Management of financial resources of the welding equipment and attention to the needs of technical staff.
- Additional responsibilities as required – this position is subject to change as the needs of the department change.
- Developing welding techniques and procedures for robotic welding operations.
- Inspects weld joints and conducts tests to ensure welds meet company standards, national code requirements, and customer job specifications.
- Conducts certification tests for qualification of personnel with national code requirements.
- Organizes and plans the development of welding procedure specifications (WPS) and welding programs for the automated welding systems, with established time lines for each development.
- Ensures all programs for automated welding systems have all critical documents developed and approved prior to release of profiles to production.
- Evaluates new developments in welding field for possible application to current welding problems or processes.
- Assist or perform welding equipment setup and communication.
- Assist or perform robotic weld gun calibration.
- Perform verification of weld equipment performance.
- Perform assembly tasks.
- Report all unsafe acts and conditions immediately.
- Use our Innovation process and the team concept to improve safety in the plant.
- Be proactively involved with improving working conditions Work in a safe manner and encourage others to do so.
- Offer ideas for improvement of all systems and help implement them.
- Lead area in achieving plant quality objectives/goals.
- 100% on-time delivery to customer.
- 0 PPM on parts.
- Understand customer needs and work towards meeting and exceeding them.
- Maintain the appearance of a World Class Facility.
- Actively support full implementation of the 5S’s, using it to approach and keep all areas clean, neat and properly maintained.
Academic and Experience
- 3 plus years of continuous weld experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Robot programming experience. (Fanuc preferred)
- Automotive experience is a plus.
- 4-year degree in welding engineering or equivalent experience.
- B.S. Engineering or equivalent experience in the field of welding.
- Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) and American Weld Society (AWS) preferred.
- Experience developing weld parameters, process sheets, training modules and analysis of weld sections.
- Project experience from concept to installation is considered a plus.
- Proficient computer skills/Microsoft suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Power Point).
- Fundamental understanding of inverter based power supplies and robotic interfacing.
- Thorough understanding of AWS and GMAW principals
- Demonstrated welding proficiency.
- Welding knowledge of advanced high strength steels, aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys.
- Ability to spot and diagnose problems, as well as engineer solutions.
- Knowledge of welding systems and software.
- Ability to self-learn a new system.
Key Success Factors: Leadership Competencies
- Business Acumen.
- Problem Solving.
- Building effective teams.
- Customer Focus.
- Drive for Results.
- Conflict management.
- Priority Setting.
- Learning on the fly.
- Motivating others.
- Excellent communication, analytical, problem solving, planning, team orientation and presentation skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive attitude.
- Excellent control of stress and proactively.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to handle or touch.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to visually focus.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields