The Turnaround Manager is assigned by Refinery Management to scope, plan & execute specific turnaround(s) within the facility. The Turnaround Manager is accountable for the delivery of turnaround(s) in accordance with the performance metrics established by the Refinery Leadership Team. The Turnaround Manager leads a team of planners, schedulers, field supervisors and contractor leadership in the development of the work-list scope, the definitive estimate, and the development of an overall execution plan for the turnaround. The Turnaround Manager leads the Core Team, comprised of critical people in other organizations, who have turnaround obligations to meet in parallel to their own normal responsibilities. The expectation of the position is to adhere to the corporate milestone process, provide timely and accurate information to the management team at each phase of the turnaround, and to champion continuous improvement (lessons learned collection, post turnaround performance critiques, work process improvements).
Turnaround Scope of Work Identification and Approval – Establish optimal work scope for the event. Facilitate development of the turnaround premise with input from all turnaround stakeholders. Develop and communicate the turnaround goals. Steward a disciplined scope collection process with input from all stakeholders. After a final scope is frozen, manage changes in accordance with the scope management process.
2. Work Scope Preparation – Manage the teams involved in detailed planning of the work-list. Facilitate technical review(s), assure stakeholder alignment, and secure documentation for planning & execution. Drive the detailed planning process in SAP; including labor resource assignment, material takeoffs, and equipment mobilization for efficient execution of work. Identify critical and sub-critical paths. Track planning team deliverables against milestone targets.
3. Execution Plan Development – Lead & drive the schedule optimization and development process. Steward schedule sequence & optimization meetings with the execution contractors & stakeholders. Assemble the collective work scope within the schedule such that it can be executed safely and efficiently, with highest quality. A key deliverable of this phase includes delivery of the Turnaround Execution Plan, which gathers deliverables from other stakeholders & members of the core team: Organization Chart, HSSE Plan, Logistics Plan, Materials Management Plan, Quality Control Plan, & the Training Plan.
4. Turnaround Definitive Estimate – Lead & drive the development of the definitive cost estimate and cost control plan. The definitive estimate commits the team to final cost and schedule targets. Labor resource requirements and mobilization plans are fully developed. Material procurement is fully developed and in progress. Rental equipment requirements are finalized. This process drives alignment of all stakeholders: the turnaround & core teams, execution contractors, and refinery leadership.
5. Turnaround Execution and Management – The Turnaround Manager is responsible for all activities taking place from pre-turnaround field execution, through shutdown, execution, and post-turnaround completion. The Turnaround Manager sets the example, and leads all aspects of job-site safety. Efficient execution, per the plan, utilizing the resources dedicated to the event, is the expectation. Communication of status and key events, as the turnaround unfolds, is required to shift organizational resources toward successful execution.
6. Critique and Documentation – Once the turnaround has completed and the Unit is back in operation, many additional activities are still important to finish the event. Included in this is a properly facilitated critique and close out reporting on final safety, cost and schedule objectives. Issues identified for the next turnaround should also be captured in a preliminary scope (80/20) while the information is fresh in participants’ minds.
7. Responsible for continuous improvement of best-in-class turnaround management practices for the group. Improves tools and other models used in turnaround execution. Documents work processes to facilitate team alignment and on-boarding of new team members. Provides post turnaround execution analysis and lessons learned to continuously improve planning and execution performance.
8. Assists the Manager of Turnarounds with information used in management meetings, and in the development of the annual turnaround budget (Medium Term Plan).
- Refinery or industrial equipment maintenance knowledge
- Understanding of critical path scheduling concepts
- Microsoft office suite; Excel and Word.
- Familiarity with SAP and Navitrack is desirable
- Typical candidate has 7 yrs craft or industrial maintenance planning & execution in a refining environment with evidence of refinery or petrochemical turnaround management experience
- Bachelors degree in Construction Management or Engineering preferred with minimum 5 years of experience in maintenance planning & execution in a refining environment with evidence of refinery or petrochemical turnaround management experience
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields