Staff Fire Protection Engineer
The Staff Fire Protection Engineer will perform the design work on multi-discipline projects and prepare comprehensive fire protection packages including fire suppression, fire alarm, smoke management, and life safety. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients.
- Design, specify, and provide multi-discipline coordination of the following fire protection systems: Wet-pipe, dry-pipe, pre-action, deluge, and foam/water fire suppression systems. Fire water supply infrastructure including fire water storage tanks, fire pumps, underground and above ground distribution piping and associated appurtenances. Outdoor fire suppression systems including monitors, spray systems, and exposure protection systems. Addressable and non-addressable voice evacuation fire alarm systems including initiation devices, supervision devices, and audible and visual notification appliances. Releasing systems for pre-action, foam/water, and clean agent systems.
- Perform fire protection calculations including the hydraulic analysis of fire water supply and demand, battery calculations, and voltage drop calculations.
- Evaluate building and life safety requirements including building area and height limitations, building construction types, fire resistive assemblies and opening protections, occupancy classifications, hazards, building egress, and active and passive smoke management systems.
- Provide construction administration including coordination with field personnel to resolve design related installation issues, the review of contractor shop drawings and calculations, field inspections, and testing of fire protection systems.
- Perform site evaluations and document existing fire protection systems.
- Prepare project budgets and cost estimates.
- Responsible for QA/QC process adherence.
- Responsible for compliance with company and site safety policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program and 3 years of fire protection engineering experience.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Fire Protection Engineering a plus.
- Successful completion (i.e. passing) FE or EIT preferred.
- NICET certification in Water-Based System Layout, Fire Alarm Systems, or Special Hazards Systems (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) is preferred.
- Strong knowledge in standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of building codes, fire codes, NFPA standards, FM Global datasheets, military standards, and refinery/industrial API guidelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient in standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain access authorization to facilities and data of existing and potential clients, including, but not limited to DOE, aerospace, military, food and consumer product manufacturers, pharmaceutical, laboratories, and others necessary to perform work.
$90,000 – $140,000
The expected compensation range for this position is displayed in accordance with the Connecticut Public Act 21-30, An Act Concerning the Disclosure of Salary Range for Vacant Positions. The final agreed upon compensation is based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: individual education, qualifications, prior work experience and work location. The total annual compensation package will consist of a base salary and eligibility to participate in our discretionary year-end incentive bonus program.
Our extensive benefits package takes care of you so that you can focus on doing great work. From insurance and disability to time off and wellness programs, we provide the tools to meet your needs. As part of being 100% employee-owned, eligible employees participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in addition to our 401(k) retirement program.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields