Sr. Construction Project Manager
Overland Park, KS
Sr. Construction Project Manager
The Sr. Construction Project Manager’s primary purpose is to manage all aspects of a project from order intake to project close out, including some support responsibilities during the quoting and award phases. This entails ensuring that all project phases are completed in a timely and cost-effective manner, meet the required quality standard, and serving as the customer’s main contact. The Project Manager will lead mid to large projects on site.
For each project, key responsibilities include customer relations, time scheduling and cost forecasting, reviewing and reporting progress, managing consortium partners, if any, and major subcontracts, managing change order process and claims management, project cash flow, and resolving all project related issues.
The Project Mgr. is expected to “own” each assigned project and protect its gross margin by closely monitoring material and labor costs and taking action to correct and report variances of these costs. This role is responsible for resolving project problems in a timely manner, and maintaining project quality and adherence to schedule and budget. The Sr. Project Mgr closes out each project after ensuring the completion of all required work and documents, all submittals required to the customer, and the final payment.
The Sr. Project Mgr. communicates very effectively to ensure the satisfaction of both customers and internal resources.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Sr. Construction Project Manager shall be engaged in the Proposal Phase. The PM will support construction + manage scheduling once assigned to a project.
- Set up and lead the cross-functional Project Team. Identify the project targets and address tasks to the Project Team members, monitor the activities
- The Sr. Construction Project Manager advises the Project Team and Executive leadership on project matters
- The Sr. Construction Project Manager is considered a subject matter expert and will coach other Project Managers as needed
- First line of communication with customers and consortium partners
- Regular communication with major sub suppliers, field construction, and internal departments to address issues related to past, current, and future topics. Set up meetings schedules and communication rules. (For example, this could include working with related groups, such as EH&S, on issues and resolution.)
- Contract management with interaction between all parties involved
- Financial responsibility to maintain target margin of project, forecast revenues with full visibility and costs associated with projects, incl. POC and progress, develop payment schedules (cash flow plan)
- Project time schedule management between engineering, construction, and supply chain resources
- Responsible for maintaining accuracy of Project Status Report and provide regular updates to management
- Document control and responsibility for the DCL Document Control List
- Change order and claims management
- Project risk management
- Insurance management
- Travel to customer or internal meetings (offices, job sites, workshops) and in many cases onsite for the entire duration of the project
- Responsible for managing projects in all countries in which does business
- Review project contracts, track deliveries, and time and material order processing
- Material costing and as-sold margin verification
- Identify and support continuous Operational Excellence (OpEx) improvement initiatives
- Initiate and drive a successful the Lessons Learned process to inform other projects and/or the proposal managers of new projects
- Act as an agent of Company per corporate guidelines
- Project assignment is based on size and scope
- Ensure timely and accurate delivery of material for both domestic and international shipments
- Ensure compliance of all documentation and packaging for domestic and international projects
CERTIFICATION/OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Certification according to the US PMI standard preferred
- Product knowledge
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Project
- Primavera (P6) scheduling experience preferred
- Experience with SAP or other ERP
- Man loaded Project scheduling and unit based project tracking experience
- Knowledge of international shipments and requirements
- Understanding of logistics terminology helpful
- Ability to travel up to 50 percent of the time and spend dedicated time on jobsites (typically 25-35%)
- Solid base of leadership skills with ability to motivate a project team to success
- Self-reliant and Self-managed with minimal supervision needed to complete projects and tasks
- Extensive understanding of construction contracts and ability to manage the contract through project life cycle
- Ability to effectively negotiate on behalf of Company
- Strong business acumen with ability to navigate through complex business issues
- Strong problem solving skills with ability to overcome project obstacles when they arise
- Ethical conduct
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds
- Ability to monitor project progress which may require working at elevation
- Ability to read effectively from a computer screen and/or paper copy
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel to job sites to meet with construction crews and customers on-site
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment with varying degrees of noise levels
- Outside at times; may be exposed to bad weather, excessive heat, and/or excessive noise
- Visit the construction jobsites for projects assigned.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields