Senior Technical Specialist Electrical Engineering
Position Senior Technical Specialist-Electrical Engineering
Location Minneapolis/ St. Paul, MN OR Cincinnati, OH
Permanent, full time. NO REMOTE
The Senior Technical Specialist plays a key role in the company’s delivery of engineering services to industrial, institutional and utility clients by providing industry-leading expertise in electrical power engineering.
- Support the lead discipline engineer in problem definition, design approach, and technology selection.
- Meet with clients when requested to support major decisions and defining project goals.
- Provide technical consultation and guidance to the project team as requested or determined to be necessary.
- Periodically review the progress of project deliverables for quality, technical accuracy and compliance with Company standards.
- Execute or lead the execution of project tasks where appropriate due to degree of difficulty, client preference, or other consideration.
- Assist in investigation and root cause analysis of equipment and system failures and implementing preventative measures into Company standards.
- Maintain an active role in a technical society or professional association.
- Regularly present and/or publish in forums that provide exposure for the Company
- Engage current and prospective clients through participation in conferences, trade associations, and technical society activities.
- Support project pursuits by participating in pre-proposal meetings and discussions, contributing to and/or reviewing proposals, and participating in selection interviews.
- Develop and deliver technical presentations or seminars for the company clients on topics relevant to their business.
- Develop and maintain standard requirements for the quality and content of deliverables including drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Identify and guide the development of tools to improve productivity and quality of work including design standards, quality review guidelines, and standard details.
- Maintain the currency and technical quality of master specifications.
- Mentor the technical development of peers and junior staff through regular interaction with project teams.
- Utilize project QC reviews and lessons-learned sessions as teaching opportunities to increase staff knowledge and eliminate repetitive errors.
- Recommend formal training and staff development necessary to maintain the company technical expertise at an industry-leading level.
- Develop and deliver internal training for Company staff as requested or determined to be necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- 20+ years of experience required.
- P.E. license required.
A Bachelors’ degree in Electrical Engineering. P.E. license required. MSEE preferred.
- Working knowledge of AC and DC power system theory and calculations including network analysis, power flow, fault calculations, rotating machine performance, and symmetrical components.
- Expertise in power system studies including short circuit, protective device coordination, load flow, reactive power flow, and arc flash hazard analysis. Experience with reliability and/or stability analysis a plus.
- Able to develop microprocessor-based protective relay settings for lines, bus, feeders, transformers, motors and generators including experience with directional, impedance, differential, and communications-assisted schemes.
- Experience in analyzing protective relay event reports (Comtrade files).
- Thorough knowledge of specification and application requirements (including relevant industry standards) for medium-voltage equipment including cables, transformers, motors, generators, switchgear, variable frequency drives, and protection and control components.
- Knowledge of electrical codes applicable to industrial and utility installations including NFPA 70, NFPA 70E and the NESC.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields