Senior Process Control Engineer
The Process Control Engineer is responsible for maintaining and supporting every aspect of the mill’s process control network and infrastructure. The Process Control Engineer guides solutions for maintenance and operations, designs and manages the process control infrastructure, upgrades equipment using process best practices, and drives the completion of process control projects.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Overview of Duties
- Capital project development and execution support
- Capital project development from assessing needs as determined by operations, maintenance and engineering, developing scopes and developing the projects through to FEP1/2/3.
- Ownership of executing existing capital projects with plans of installation in the upcoming outage.
- Need to be able to work within the mill’s structure, policies, safety / COVID requirements, environmental awareness, etc.
- Examples of projects on the docket:
· Controls for Winder functions.
· UPS Upgrades
· Foxboro DCS CP Upgrade and CE Conversion – Project Administrator
· Various Foxboro DCS and Allen-Bradley PLC Upgrades
· Turbine Controls Upgrade from Mark IV– FEP 1/2/3
· PM2 QCS Upgrade
- Design, implement, and support existing and new process control projects for Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s), and custom control applications running in a MS environment
- Evaluate and manage processes and equipment operation to meet or exceed standards
- Read and understand piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s), loop sheets, and electrical drawings to understand processes and potential opportunities for improvement
- Maintain and troubleshoot all hardware associated with the DCS including: computers, servers, switches, process controllers, process I/O, PLC, thin clients, monitors, mouse, and keyboards
- Execute programming and software changes to support new and existing control systems or components of a process
- Perform all activities to support software system backups, integrations, software repairs and revisions, software updates, and system recovery for all IT associated with process control for the entire facility (including DCS computers, servers, switches, and controllers)
- Serve as a subject matter expert related to the electrical wiring and troubleshooting associated with the DCS equipment
- Support other departments to address needs that arise during daily operations (e.g. Electrician and Instrumentation to troubleshoot I/O, operations to address interlocks and safety, etc.)
- Collaborate with various departments to improve DCS control strategies, interlocks, alarms, and graphics for safety of workers, safety of equipment, and maximum uptime
- Maintain the PI interface (historian – Plant Information System) and collaborate with other departments to make sure process data is appropriately captured and updated
- Partner with the process control engineering team to plan DCS upgrades and projects
- Support engineering and maintenance departments with projects that require DCS I/O and controls
People and Culture
- Serve as a liaison between mill personnel and contractors doing process control work
- Provide ongoing guidance and coaching to process control engineers focused on tools and systems, interactions between functional areas, end-to-end processes, and how various efforts relate to strategic organizational goals
- Use day-to-day issues as teaching moments to build the problem-solving skill set and process control capability of team members
- Have a good understanding of DCS and Allen-Bradley PLC systems (Prefer Foxboro DCS skills with an understanding of both Control Editor and ICC. This is highly preferred)
- Good working knowledge of Ethernet networking.
- Good working knowledge of instrumentation and valve performance. This includes HART communications.
- Good working knowledge of controls and control strategy.
- Low voltage (480 VAC and less) electrical knowledge to understand motor starters, UPS systems, power distribution from 480 VAC to 3-phase 120VAC/208VAC panels.
- Basic working knowledge of the paper-making process (including Paper Machine advanced controls as related to QCS) and Power Boiler operation and controls is a benefit.
- Efficient in use of Windows and MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of OSISoft PI and PI point-building is a plus.
- Dedicated to driving excellence through system documentation, drawings, manuals, procedures, etc.
- Project Management skills for multi-phase $1MM plus projects coordinating various engineering disciplines and contractor involvement.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities related to those projects.
- Good communication skills.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields