Network Administrator – Higher Education
Serves as a member of the Network and Infrastructure Services (NIS) team collectively responsible for the installation, maintenance and overall technical administration of College network and server systems. Ensures the 24/7 availability, integrity, security and reliability of all Network Systems.
Responsible for the settings, configuration and maintenance of LAN/WAN and related hardware/software. Provides troubleshoots pertaining to LAN/WAN to meet users’ needs. Takes initiative for the network security and systems upgrades.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborates with other Information Technology areas and other College constituencies to assess functional needs, and propose and implement timely, cost-effective, and innovative solutions.
- Leads and participates in the administration and implementation of network strategies.
- Leads and participates in the upgrades of Network devices. Leads specification, installation and management of network hardware, including set-up, operating system installation and updates, and troubleshooting.
- Leads network systems configuration of switches, routers and WAN technologies including Ethernet over Dark Fiber. Supports and ensures both the wireless and wired LAN/WAN networks are up for all hours of operation.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level technical support, performing detailed and well-documented fault investigation, and timely and appropriate corrective action to address network and system incidents.
- Collaborates in the planning and implementation network security, including setting up firewalls, host security, network access controls, and maintaining network access control lists.
- Supports VoIP telephony including monitoring network data links, taking suitable actions to mediate any loss to voice services.
- Collaborates in the development and maintenance of documentation, standards, policies and procedures to assure appropriate access, use, support, back-up/recovery, security and overall administration of network systems.
- Provides support and administers network management systems and back-up/recovery systems; including business continuity planning, testing and support to ensure all systems are backed up and can be restored in the event of a system failure or loss.
- Monitors network systems performance, logs and health, including management of alerts from commercial, open source, and locally developed monitoring tools.
- Resolves system outages, problems and help desk incidents. Establishes and leverages relationships with vendors to resolve problems and installations in a timely manner.
- Works with the Sr. Network Security Administrator to ensure physical and virtual security of network systems in collaboration with the NISS leadership.
- Ensures communication and responsiveness at all time. Available after business hours to provide 24 hour on-call support for mission critical systems.
- Continuously updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations. Actively work with fellow team members to increase team knowledge and skills and impart industry knowledge.
- Recommends, initiates, and implements improvements to IT operations and processes. Contributes constructive suggestions for change or improvement in other areas.
- Serves as liaison to College offices, committees and Information Technology personnel as required.
- Performs other departmental duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience [required].
- Experience with Edge Switch support (i.e. Extreme and Cisco Switches) [required].
- Experience with monitoring, reading logs, and troubleshooting Edge switches devices [required].
- Experience with the following protocols/technologies: TCP/IP, RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, TFTP, Telnet, NAT, VPN and MPLS [required].
- Experience with telecommunication (VoIP) switches, telephone moves, adds and changes [preferred].
- Experience with and ability to develop and follow change management procedures and guidelines [preferred].
- Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Operating system familiarity with Linux, Cisco, Extreme, F-5 platforms.
- Network security systems and best practices.
- Enterprise back-up software (NetBackup).
- TCP/IP, LAN and WAN familiarity and analytical skills in an enterprise environment.
- DNS/DHCP familiarity as well as troubleshooting of same.
- Systems management, monitoring and tuning tools and processes to include but not limited to, What’s Up Gold, Solarwinds, Splunk, etc.
- Systems integration including operating systems, and networks.
- Identification and resolution of network equipment related software/hardware interface problems.
- Scripting and other programming languages to perform and automate routine tasks.
- Help in analyzing network system logs and tread dumps.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity concepts and best practices.
- Load balancing and clustering (BigIP/F5).
- Experience working within a formal project management and change management methodology.
- Networking equipment to include, but not limited to, Cisco, Extreme, F5. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and related networking requirements within hybrid architecture utilizing Microsoft Skype for Business and Teams (Office 365 cloud and on-premise), security, and quality of service (Voice Gateway, LLDP, VLAN, SIP, QoS).Telecommunication switches and equipment ((VoIP) to include, but not limited to, SIP, LYNC.Other software and systems, including: Apache Tomcat, proxy servers, LDAP, PHP, RADIUS, VPN, Shibboleth, Java.
- CCNA or CCNP certification desired.
- Experience with Cloud technologies, especially Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services and with emphasis on transition of physical security architectures to cloud based, software defined network constructs [preferred].
- A demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Strong knowledge of network and server administration processes and best practices with a strong security awareness and focus [required].
- Understanding of common enterprise services as it intersects with large scale corporate networks.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work in a typical computing environment, requiring walking, standing, lifting and bending for brief periods may be necessary.
- Ability to travel between campuses may be required on an occasional basis.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients and the College community.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and ability to effectively resolve or escalate issues to management or vendor support as necessary.
- Ability to write reports, documentation, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies, systems and software and adapt to change on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments through prioritization and time management, and effectively document and communicate status of projects and issues to management and Information Technology personnel.
- Ability to meet deadlines, ability to achieve and maintain expected productivity levels.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields