Opportunity Summary: We have an opening for an Environmental Engineer to work in partnership with leadership and employees at our Mill centrally located between Raleigh, NC and Richmond, Va. This is a unionized facility with approximately 400 employees. Experience ownership firsthand as you ensure the compliance and performance management of one or more environmental media areas (air, water, solid/hazardous waste, hazardous substances) at a world class integrated corrugated medium paper production facility.
How you will impact :
- Serve as a technical expert for the mill’s business units (pulp, power, wood yard, and paper)
- Primary contact with regulatory agencies and other outside stakeholder groups
- Maintains complex environmental permitting and regulatory tracking
- Resolves high profile environmental issues
- Knowledgeable of emerging state and local environmental regulations
- Provides support during development of regulatory compliance programs
- Drives continuous improvement opportunities including system development
- Promotes employee engagement to achieve desired results
- Ability to explain complex processes and regulatory requirements in layman’s terms
- Supports operations in reviewing environmental controls systems
- Ability to maintain records in “audit ready” condition
- Establish, write, and communicate programs and policies to comply with regulatory programs
- Conduct training to both hourly and salaried personnel
- Participate in the on-call weekend duty rotation
- Vacation relief, and miscellaneous water treatment lab bench work (BOD, TSS, TOC, etc.)
- Implement programs and prepare a variety of regulatory reports which include data collection, calculations, accurate record keeping, and an adherence to regulatory guidelines with minimal supervision
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- Must have experience in air program (Title V, including stack testing) in a large integrated facility
- 2+ years environmental experience in a manufacturing facility.
- Pulp & Paper experience strongly preferred.
- Must be detail-oriented
- Excellent Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word) Skills
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal environmental regulations
- North Carolina wastewater treatment certification, or the ability to achieve at least Grade III.
- Excellent organizational, planning, time management, and prioritization skills
- Good Customer Focus, Decision Making Skills Excellent Problem Solving and Written Communications Skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Working Knowledge of VBA or Pi
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.