Senior Engineer I, High Voltage Systems – 1295549
We are the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan and pension.
The Senior Engineer I in the New Product Engineering team will be responsible for the design, development, and integration of the High Voltage systems for all new vehicles. This candidate will be the owner of the High Voltage systems specifications and drive them back to the suppliers to meet and exceed every aspect of requirements. You will have direct influence on vehicle electrical systems from concept through to manufacturing launch to field support.
You will be part of the team that develops the industry’s best-in-class zero emission bus. This role will focus on High Voltage (HV) design requirements and component evaluation and selection for the application, including HV cable assemblies, HV connectors, and HV circuit protection devices. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good judgement, and leadership skills combined with the willingness to do hands-on engineering. You will report directly to the Electrical Engineering Manager in New Product Engineering.
High Voltage systems
- Develop and maintain the requirements and standards for the High Voltage designs.This includes staying up to date with the latest SAE charging standards as it pertains to heavy-duty electric vehicles
- Be the HV subject matter expert with cross-functional teams and suppliers
- Evaluate and select HV component for new vehicles that meet design specifiications and work with cross-functional teams to drive new high voltage designs through design phase into production
- Perform design analysis on electrical loads, power distribution, & circuit protection
- Review, analyze, and approve EMC test results
- Lead DFMEA discussions in order to identify potential risks and implement design changes to mitigate potential failure modes based on results
- Lead design reviews with cross-functional teams to ensure they meet project requirements as well as regulatory & industry standards
- Support production launch activities and continuous products & process improvements
- Help support both on-site & off-site troubleshooting activities with our Production Support &/or the Customer Care teams when necessary
- Lead Root Cause Analysis (RCA) efforts and advise stakeholders on technical issues that could affect product design and delay deliverables
- Perform other duties, as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of progressive engineering experience
Direct experience with:
- Designing High Voltage (HV) systems which includes appropriate cable sizing, connector selection, circuit protection, cable routing & retention, meeting creepage & clearance tolerances, as well as EMC shielding
- Electrified vehicles and related HV componentry such as DC/DC converters, electric traction motors, Li-ion batteries, high-power DC chargers, etc.
- DC fast charging (DCFC), overhead (pantograph) charging, &/or inductive (wireless) charging
- EMC emission and immunity test methods such as CISPR 25, ISO-11452-2, ISO 7637-4, & ISO 10605
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical systems using basic tools such as a function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, hi-pot tester, megger ohm meter, etc.
- Manufacturing environment & processes
- Heavy-duty vehicles
- ECAD software such as Zuken E3, Mentor Graphics, &/or AutoCAD Electrical
- Standard methodologies such as 8D, five whys, & fishbone diagrams to help root-cause complex issues
- SAE electric vehicle charging standards such as J19772, J3105, J2954, etc.
- Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, MFPA, SAE, NEC, etc.
ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Working environment is primarily indoors (office and production environment), however, at times may require time spent outdoors
- Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; occasionally kneel or squat
- May be required to work overtime based on business needs
- Limited domestic travel
- Early schedule with typical start time 6AM (negotiable)
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields