Senior Bioprocess Fermentation Engineer in San Leandro, CA!
San Leandro, CA
Sr. Bioprocess Engineer
· San Leandro, California
Imagine a meat company unlike anything that has come before! We are on a mission to impact climate change by revolutionizing how we make meat. Founded in 2019, we make protein from elements of the air.
We are a modern food company, crafting the world’s first air-based meats to feed us more sustainably, help renew the planet’s resources and eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air around us into protein using probiotic cultures, then turn those proteins into any meat imaginable. It’s where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
Join our team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to transform the future of food with solutions we never thought possible, creating meat that is nutritious, delicious and more sustainable. We use less land, less water and is significantly faster to make than any other meat available.
In addition to the chance to work with cutting edge technology to help combat climate change and working toward addressing the impending food crisis, employees also enjoy competitive benefits and total compensation plans and a collaborative company culture. If you join us on this relentless pursuit for more, changing the world will soon feel as natural as taking a breath.
We are funded by ADM, a world leader in fermentation technology, GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Barclays, one of the world’s leading financial institutions.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Senior Bioprocess Engineer is an experienced chemical engineer, biochemist or related occupation that is responsible for the safe operation of fermentation systems in the company. This role would play a significant part in optimizing the processes of fermentation delivery.
This role is actively responsible to:
- Manage research and development programs.
- Manage and direct multidisciplinary technical teams with lead-by-example and team centered approach.
- Understand and execute on installation, commissioning, and start-up of fermentation and bioprocessing lines.
- Apply engineering principles, research theories, and models to design and plan experiments and research activities.
- Develop, write, and review technical documentation including reports, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and engineering design packages
- Gatekeeper of Management of Change (MoC) systems specific to the operations of the fermentation plant
- Operate, troubleshoot, optimize, and oversee bioreactors and/or fermenters.
- Maintain safety in the operation of the fermenters and maintain Project Safety Management (PSM) for the plant.
- Establish short and long-term business strategies in coordination with management team.
- Communicate findings to internal project teams, management, and external stakeholders.
- Preparing and giving presentations to internal teams, clients, and potential investors.
- Lead project meetings to coordinate efforts and communicate effectively for successful project execution.
- Manage subcontractor efforts to ensure quality and accuracy in budget.
- Reviewing literature and journal articles to inform program efforts.
- Chemical or biochemical engineering degree with 10-15 years of experience in a biotech, pharmaceutical, biofuel, or food fermentation operations role.
- Understand bioprocessing/fermentation industries, particularly gas fermentation systems and high gas transfer reactor systems.
- Expertise in cGMP food and/or pharmaceutical operations.
- Solid skills in project planning, defining program and task objectives, experimental design, resource allocation, scheduling, budgeting, and tracking.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to act proactively to create exceptional experiences for internal and external audiences
- Superlative communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate with tangible and lasting shaping of core values and standards
- Professional experience in roles requiring both independent creativity and collaboration with multiple stakeholders
- Experience with managing and safely using hazardous gases and high-pressure systems is an asset.
- Able to recognize when optimization, correction, or custom changes are necessary – ability to troubleshoot and manage operations
- Demonstrable experience in building a supply chain from scratch is preferred but not required.
- Possess a customer first mentality with all stakeholders.
- Demonstrate strong business and financial acumen with an understanding of the implications of new technology development processes.
- Understand the use of technology as a competitive differentiator.
- Preferred regulatory experience in food safety.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields