Senior Applications Engineer
Saint Paul, MN
Our client develops intelligent laser processing solutions for manufacturing innovation and is located near St. Paul, MN. They are looking to add a Senior Applications Engineer to their team. The Applications Engineer works with industrial laser material processes such as cutting, ablating, and scoring. They work with internal teams on specifications, and coordinating the planning, design, and testing of laser equipment. Projects lead to system sales, upgrades, service and contract manufacturing in print, packaging, medical, and other industries.
- Develop clear and achievable technical product and equipment specifications by working with customers, sales personnel, distributors, and vendors.
- Lead system setup and commissioning, including electrical and/or mechanical and/or software troubleshooting.
- Directly perform product and process testing.
- Create test plans and lead process technicians and other process engineers to perform product and process testing.
- Develop thorough factory and site acceptance criteria by partnering with the customer.
- Thorough documentation of common processes, statements of work, and professional reporting of test results.
- Consult with Engineering throughout the design process to ensure specifications & requirements are met.
- Leads/effects “Factory Acceptance Testing” with the customer to demonstrate proper performance and processing capabilities.
- Leads/effects “Site Acceptance Testing” at the customer site to demonstrate proper performance and processing capabilities, seeking final signoff from the customer.
- Leads/effects on-site customer training, transferring adequate software and equipment knowledge to the customer.
- Leads/effects resolution of outstanding technical or operational issues that exist post installation.
- Communicates specifications to Field Service Technicians to ensure process requirements are clear.
- Initiate customer contact, coordinate customer samples, propose non-recurring engineering projects and demonstrations and perform technical reporting efforts for timely delivery to customers.
- Source of technical knowledge; trains and mentors other team members
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Physics, or related field of study
- 7+ years of experience in laser processing or related field, or 4+ years with advanced degree
- Natural ability for troubleshooting
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Comfortable with electrical and mechanical equipment platforms, software, and automation
- Demonstrated ability to develop & maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers.
- Strong leadership, communication and project management skills
- Understanding and applying engineering tools such as design of experiments (DOE) and statistical techniques (Cpk, control charts)
- Experience with lasers, optics, and laser material processing
- Understanding material interactions with different laser wavelengths and pulse durations
- Standing and walking on a concrete floor
- Working in a manufacturing environment
- Moderate time working at a computer workstation
- Some lifting required up to 70 pounds
- Travel to customer facilities, typically less than 20%
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields