Sales Director (Higher Ed)
$125,000 / yr
Best of breed software provider to more than 450 of the nation’s most academically complex colleges and universities to manage their academic catalogs, curriculum, section scheduling, registration, and syllabi management.
The Sales Manager builds, leads, and develops a team of 7-10 employees consisting of Account Executives (AE) and other Sales Operations staff. In addition, the Sales Manager performs AE sales duties. The team is expected to generate new revenue using a 6-12+ month consultative sales process. The Sales Manager is accountable for business growth, company market share, and revenue increases.
Manager Responsibilities (80%)
- Deliver revenue goals for the company.
- Develop a plan for reliably delivering on sales goals. Use forecasting, account resource allocation, account strategy, and planning tools to expand client base.
- Provide tools and create/evaluate/optimize data sets that allow the Sales Team to be successful. This includes pricing structure, territory size, and competitor differentiation.
- Communicate sales vision, business plans, and organizational updates to the Sales Team. This includes, but is not limited to providing long-term strategic direction.
- Manage the performance and professional development of sales executives. This includes setting goals, coaching for performance, and coordinating priorities for the execution of assignments.
- Recruit, interview, and select talent to build a high-performing team.
- Analyze sales activity and results to direct individual performance and to provide input to senior management.
- Implement processes, structure, and training for the Sales Team and provide a cohesive approach for the team.
- Supervise and motivate and serve as an advocate for the Sales Team.
- Lead Sales Team meetings to check progress, identify and tweak strategies and tactics, and provide coaching opportunities.
- Advocate for client success through continuing high-quality sales and client satisfaction. This starts with aligning sales processes, practices, and policies with overall vision.
- Other duties as assigned.
Account Executive Responsibilities (20%)
- Close sales in a consultative, longer sales cycle, higher price point environment.
- Understand and be able to articulate complex software capabilities.
- Contact potential clients, and identify and uncover client core needs.
- Present/communicate company solutions, products, and services to potential clients.
- Develop and maintain product and industry knowledge.
- Execute and deliver creative, thoughtful, and competitive responses to RFPs in conjunction with our proposal writers.
- Remain current on new developments in higher education technology. Understand changing trends and know what the competition is doing.
- Act as a liaison between the client and the implementation team.
- Attend marketing events such as conferences and webinars, and build relationships with clients. Follow-up on new leads and referrals.
- Excellent sales leadership skills: ability to lead a broad sales team and effectively interface with senior management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: clear, targeted, persuasive.
- Strong client orientation and listening skills: able to understand client requirements and translate them into customization options/plans.
- Exceptional ability to clearly convey ideas across a wide range of internal and external audiences.
- Ability to operate independently: self-starter in fast-paced environment with strong work ethic.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and execute: translate broad strategies into tactical plan, and execute the plan over a 3-9 month time span.
- Strong Teamwork: ability to interact effectively cross-functionally with internal resources.
- Ability to lead and inspire strong results from our Sales Team.
Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 6 years’ experience in consultative computer software sales is required. Demonstrated success in leading teams, negotiating business deals, preferably in higher education, technology industry, or in major account sales. Proficiency with SalesForce, MSOffice and web-based presentation tools (such as GoToMeeting).
Flexible, team-oriented environment. The ideal candidate must be able to operate in an entrepreneurial, small company environment with the ability to adjust to client schedules.
Salary plus bonus with excellent benefits package. The salary amount is based on the candidate’s experience and background.
Ability to travel up to 25%+ of the time (typically 1-2 trips per month for ~3 days) with peak spikes of 50% travel. The Sales Manager must be able to navigate airports, and locate client facilities. As part of the travel required, should occasionally be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Generally, the Sales Manager position is considered sedentary. They will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment, phones, and computers.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields