$60,000 - $70,000 / yr
Job Title: Purchasing Agent
Location: Ames, Iowa
Job Summary of the Purchasing Agent: Coordinates the purchasing of direct production materials and MRO supplies as required. Negotiates and procures an assigned group of materials, components, equipment, services and supplies from vendors at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source and urgency of need. Processes orders and does follows-up to expedite delivery and shipment. Develops and maintains necessary records and files for efficient operation of the purchasing function.
Job Responsibilities of the Purchasing Agent:
- Qualifies prospective suppliers based upon their ability to meet material specifications, quality requirements and delivery schedules, at a competitive price.
- Maintains supplier metrics and provides to select vendors periodically.
- Develops and implements purchasing strategies for cost reduction.
- Solicits and analyzes quotes upon which to base purchasing decisions. Negotiates the best price possible based on the quality, quantity, and delivery performance of the vendor to meet cost reduction objectives.
- Performs necessary preliminary work and gathers information upon which to base purchasing decisions in assigned areas of vendor items and within dollar limits.
- Performs duties, including purchase order processing, posting of component parts and steel, and invoicing of component and expense items.
- Interviews vendors’ agents and representatives, investigates and develops alternate sources.
- Responsible for resolving invoicing problems in conjunction with Accounting Department.
- Works with designated team members across three plants to ensure materials are available and assists in resolving inventory control issues.
- Prepares reports as required, concerning dollar volume, vendor quality and delivery performance, and alternate sources.
- Review and keep a good record of purchasing files and records to verify that they comply with business policies and procedures. Ensure documentation is readily available.
Education & Experience of the Purchasing Agent:
§ An Associates degree preferred or equivalent training.
§ 2 years or more of relevant purchasing experience.
§ Procurement procedure knowledge in manufacturing environment.
§ Ability to negotiate and close and interact successfully with a wide variety and levels of people/organizations, both inside and outside the company.
§ Developed flexibility, organization and time management skills are necessary to effectively manage multiple projects and problems together.
§ Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
§ Must interact professionally and successfully with all levels of the organization.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields