Inpatient Clinical Coder
Excellent training (1 week)
Physician lead continued education and career development
Automatic 401k 3% match
The Inpatient Clinical Coder is responsible for accurately assigning all reportable diagnoses and procedures for
complete and accurate coding of a medical record, per Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines. The Inpatient
Clinical Coder’s primary responsibilities are related to accurately and completely coding all inpatient accounts assigned by the company’s clients.
• Promotes a partnership between clinical documentation and financial outcomes, by accurately and completely coding the medical record for all appropriate ICD-10 CM and ICD-10 PCS codes.
• Ensures all diagnoses and Present on Admission indicators are captured per Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines to ensure accurate DRG assignment (MSDRG and/or APRDRG) on accounts coded, while also capturing any additional, secondary diagnoses that impact quality outcomes (ex: Risk of Mortality,
Severity of Illness, Social Determinants of Health, HCC, etc.) to ensure accurate and complete coding.
• Ensures all procedures are captured per Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines to ensure accurate DRG assignment (MSDRG and/or APRDRG) on accounts coded, while also capturing any additional procedure codes for add-on payment options that do not necessarily change the DRG (ex: New Technology Add On Payment codes/NTAP) but impact facility reimbursement.
• Validates the discharge disposition accuracy as part of the coding review.
• Stays current with Official Coding Guidelines, Quarterly Coding Clinic, and NTAP criteria to ensure high quality of codes assigned by the company.
• Abides by the “Standards of Ethical Coding” as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association.
• Demonstrates actions consistent with company’s “Expectations” as duties are performed daily.
• Complete mandatory annual HIPAA and Compliance Training in a timely manner
• Maintain confidentiality in all matters to include patient care, physician, and employee matters
• Maintain accurate and reliable organizational records
• Maintain professional relationships with appropriate officials; communicate honestly and completely; behave in a fair and nondiscriminatory manner in all professional contacts
• Assure the accuracy of data, work, or information and contribute ideas and suggestions to improve approaches, methodologies, and productivity.
• Maintain professional relationship with clients focusing on high level of client satisfaction
• Adhere to a personal plan of professional development and growth through professional affiliations,
activities, and continuing education driven by professional goals and quality audit outcomes
• Demonstrates excellent observation skills, analytical thinking, problem solving, plus good verbal and written communication.
• Professional, team player, able to communicate well with others. Strong interpersonal skills, pleasing personality, positive.
• Support overall strategic goals of the company
• Must have a dedicated secure workspace to ensure adherence to HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures when viewing protected health information (PHI)
• High-speed internet connection
• Company will provide laptop and access to necessary resources to perform job duties
• Associate degree*
o Health Information Technology with AHIMA Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential preferred.
• AHIMA Clinical Coding Specialist (CCS) credential required.
• Minimum of 3 years of acute inpatient hospital coding experience in a large tertiary hospital preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years of acute inpatient hospital coding experience required.
• Experience with electronic health records (i.e., Cerner, Meditech, Epic, etc.) and 3M or TruCode encoder software required.
• Ability to work independently in a remote setting required.
*Relevant work experience in absence of associate degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• This is a full-time position, and general hours of work and days are Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Flexibility with work schedule varies by client.
• Overall physical workload is light. Ability to communicate both orally and in writing. Work is generally sedentary requiring long periods at workstation.
• Travel may be required occasionally
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields