Engineering Manager – Virginia
$120,000 - $120,000 / yr
The Engineering Manager at the Wytheville VA site (around an hour outside of Roanoke, VA), plans, organizes, and directs engineering to meet company objectives for new product development, and improvement of existing product lines. Engineering Managers that have an understanding of the technology of processing rubber in both molding and hand-building operations in an elastomers manufacturing environment is desired.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data, and analysis. Plans documentation system.
- Assist in quoting new jobs with sales force.
- Selects, develops, trains, and supervises staff.
- Develops, determines, and implements policies, procedures, and programs.
- Selects correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvements for existing ones.
- Reviews and analyzes proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
- Approves and submits proposals considered feasible to management for consideration and allocation of funds or allocates funds from department budget.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects such as preparation of records of expenditures and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences, to inform management of the status of each project.
- Working with the Process Technicians and Quality Manager; reviews and monitors quality and process improvements and new product development.
- Directs the review of production costs and product quality and modifies production and inventory control programs to maintain and enhance the profitable operation of the division.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain engineering requirements to develop new markets.
- Recommends budgets to management; including staff utilization, technology, facility, and equipment requirements or improvements.
- Participates in Strategic Planning of the business
- Negotiates contracts with consulting firms to perform research or other applicable studies or support.
- Directs appropriate support for Manufacturing and Quality functions within the organization.
- Customer Contact for engineering related issues
- Willingness to travel to suppliers, customers, and other sites as needed. Travel is typically on an infrequent basis but may be on short notice.
Managing staff of direct reports.
Monitoring and reviewing the work of staff members, including conducting annual performance reviews.
Ensuring staff compliance with Company policies, quality processes, work standards, etc.
Participates in hiring and recruitment efforts, including interviews for employees in the Engineering department.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of all plant functions and understanding the technology of processing rubber in both molding and hand-building operations.
- Background with manufacturing methods, process improvements programs, and procedures required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to other employees of the company.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer and keyboarding skills; Oracle desirable
- Excellent customer service skills (friendly, courteous, and helpful)
- Develop relationships, manage expectations and communicate on a formal and informal basis with corporate senior executives and customers.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Strategic and creative thinking to analyze issues that may arise and create solutions.
- Ability to respond positively to feedback and implement change in processes and procedures as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields