Engineer – Connected Manufacturing – Industry 4.0
Des Moines, IA
$70,000 - $120,000 / yr
Engineer – Connected Manufacturing – Industry 4.0
About the company:
Major established and global brand name company with a good working culture that empowers you to do great work in a company with 100 years of success, innovation and growth. Their associates are the foundation of their continued success. If you’re innovative and enjoy the thrill of making things happen – share their vision and grow with them.
About the position:
As an Engineer – Connected Manufacturing, you will work with a diverse and geographically spread team. As the primary engineer at the southeastern Iowa location, you will be self-sufficient, handling project requests, creation, installation, and troubleshooting while leveraging the knowledge and skill of the rest of the team. You will be responsible for designing and creating projects, using Inductive Automation’s Ignition and PTC’s Kepware, to properly interpret machine and other factory data generating actionable information for the local facility and entire corporation. You will work with SQL databases for data storage and retrieval and interface with many different industrial and IT communications protocols. You will also be communicating complex problems such as data acquisition, mathematics, statistics, analytics, and reporting to various levels of the organization, while training personnel to use these projects and larger systems.
Connected Manufacturing is responsible for implementing Industry 4.0, the “digitization of the factory,” across all the company’s facilities. The team uses cutting-edge software tools to collect and interpret data and present it in an actionable form to those who can use it to improve processes across our company. As a member of the team, you will collaborate across departments and sites to help further your department’s goals. The team is currently spread across the company’s two manufacturing sites, one in upstate NY and the other in southeast IA. The teammates cover multiple roles that allow the department to handle everything needed from data collection to data analytics and UI/UX. There is an attractive relocation package also available.
- Design and develop projects in Ignition that can read and interpret machine and other factory data streams to produce actionable outputs. This is primarily done via the use of Jython/Python.
- Evaluate project requests, determining their technical requirements. Create project design documentation for team review and execution.
- Plan, purchase and implement the needed hardware, code, and data storage to execute a project leveraging the team’s knowledge and skills
- Ensure Projects integrate with the larger goals, long and short term, of the department and corporation
- Verify that the outputs of your code match reality by visually monitoring the machine or calculating against the raw dataset and comparing to code output
- Implement and maintain simple electrical control boxes, sensors, and other hardware to support projects on the floor
- Perform server and software maintenance as needed, ensuring department systems are up to date, secure, and in line with IT policies
- Create SQL queries to read from and write to databases
- Design and develop HMIs to allow collection of data directly from shop floor associates and supply visual feedback
- Train other engineers & shop floor associates on how to use the systems the team has designed.
- Troubleshoot and improve systems that have erred or are not functioning as well as intended
- Evaluate current technology trends for use and future planning
- A fervent desire to be hands-on and spend time on the production floor understanding machine outputs and factory function
- A working knowledge of software
- Ability to successfully interface with diverse roles (i.e., manufacturing operators, engineers, leadership staff)
- Ability to successfully interface with multiple departments (i.e., Manufacturing, Operations, Information Technology, Safety)
Preferred skills & experience
- Analytical with a strong orientation toward problem-solving
- Willingness to learn new things in a constantly evolving environment
- Detail oriented, able to document and simplify complex instructions and assemblies for routine use
- Industrial Engineer or Mechanical Engineer with experience and an aptitude for coding
- Software Engineer or Computer Engineer with experience and an aptitude for mechanical systems
- Experience with Allen Bradly or other PLC’s
- Experience with simple networking and troubleshooting
- Experience with PTC’s Kepware
- CNC Mill, Lathe, Laser, or other machining experiences
- A working knowledge of Jython/Python (we use Jython)
- A working knowledge of SQL (we use MS SQL)
- A working knowledge of Inductive Automation’s Ignition
- Strong presentation skills – comfortable presenting to a diverse audience
About the schedule:
This position is 1st shift
- Bachelor’s Degree in an applicable engineering field or other type of Bachelor Degree or a professional license
- Minimum of 1 year of experience
About the total compensation package:
Salary – Salaries ranging from $70,000 – $120,000 per year based on experience and profit sharing that has been averaging in the 5-7% range over a number of years.
Benefits – The company recognizes the value of a comprehensive benefits program for our employees and work tirelessly to make sure our package meets the needs of our employees and their families. Eligible employees can elect and participate in a variety of benefits including:
- Medical and Rx Plan options
- Dental and Vision Plan options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for medical and dependent care
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Accident, Critical Illness, and Indemnity Insurance
- ID Theft Protection
- Comprehensive 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Profit Sharing Plan based on annual profitability
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Vacation, Sick, Personal & Volunteer Time
- Company Paid Holidays
- Tuition Aid Program
Bachelor’s Degree in an applicable engineering field, computer science, an Engineer in Training (EIT) or a professional license with 1-3 years and up engineering experience. Must be authorized to work indefinitely in the USA without sponsorship.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields