Electrical Department Manager
This position is responsible for the managerial direction and leadership of all members within the Electrical Department of the Aviation & Federal Global Practice (approximately ten direct reports to date). This position will additionally spend a percentage of time remaining engaged in the market place by providing business development or technical support to the various business lines. Specific areas of responsibility include the following, with other duties as assigned by senior management:
- Responsible for the level of quality of Electrical and Low Voltage design deliverables.
- Recruit, retain, mentor, and provide feedback to direct reports in collaboration with management.
- Identifies training needs for staff to management.
- Looks for improvements, monitors quality levels, and finds root cause of quality problems.
- Proactively address staff performance issues and project quality issues in a timely manner.
- Assigns and coordinates work across engineering staff and project managers.
- Manages expected workload, prioritizes tasks, has a sense of urgency so department completes projects/assignments on schedule and on budget.
- Responsible for staff utilization and accountability of staff toward individual billability goals per the business plan.
- Assists in establishing project goals, milestones, and procedures. Helps define roles and responsibilities, acquires project resources, coordinates projects throughout company, and monitors project progress.
- Serves as a technical advisor, providing senior level input and evaluation on projects.
- Assists in development and administration of Minneapolis Aviation & Federal Global Practice annual budgets.
- Anticipates and recognizes problems. Effectively balances risks and opportunities; thinks through potential positive and negative outcomes; looks for ways to mitigate risks.
- Provides mid-year and year end performance reviews for staff and coordinates with overall Aviation & Facilities Global Practice Operations Manager related to reviews.
- Review and approve timecards to reflect accurate labor hours.
- Review and approve PTO requests and coordinate with Project Managers to ensure that project schedules are not adversely impacted.
- Support sales and marketing efforts which include assignment of staff to proposals, presentations, and related tasks.
- Assist in supporting Regional Office staff development, quality control, and resource coordination.
- Support of Business Development with clients is required for this position. Prior experience in Business Development is preferred.
- Billable time expectation is 90%.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an accredited program.
- Minimum 7 years related professional experience.
- Previous leadership and/or management experience is preferable.
- Must possess strong project management skills and a strategic perspective.
- Must be an expert in computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; and the ability to clearly and effectively present complex information to all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Position requires the ability to thoughtfully and positively influence, lead, and manage change.
- Licensed Professional Engineer strongly preferred.
- Prior Consulting experience is strongly preferred.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields