Director of Purchasing and Transportation
Manufactures and distributes products for the factory-built housing, recreational vehicle (RV), commercial, and other related markets across the United States and Canada.
Seeking a Director of Purchasing and Transportation who is passionate about optimization – an individual with a proven track record for aligning inventory management, purchasing processes, and inbound transportation within a customer-focused organization. The ideal candidate must be a critical thinker, possess a financial acumen, enjoy forecasting, be familiar with ERP systems, and drive the desired company outcomes within a decentralized, mid-sized organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee team who handles inventory forecast and purchases for distribution and manufacturing business with annual sales of approximately $500M in annual sales.
- Oversee training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Develop processes and implement a plan to ensure correct items and quantities are in stock in the appropriate branches across the US. and Canada.
- Partner with Logistics to determine most economical approach to get product from vendor (domestic and international) to end customer via direct or via our branch network.
- Guide the optimization of the replenishment process for all items within the supply chain network through the regional and centralized distribution network
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Skilled in leveraging ERP and apply appropriate forecasting tools, algorithms, and other methodologies as predictors of customer demand.
- Interface, coach and mentor the purchasing department to confirm inventories are maintained against budget targets and business levels.
- Conduct analysis of purchasing policies and procedures, develop plans, formulate guidelines, and make continuous improvements.
- Work with vendors in coordination with marketing and product management team. Work with Product Management to develop vendor scorecards and provide feedback on vendor process/performance gaps.
- Work with cross functional departments to develop new and progressive tools to improve the identification, communication and execution of PO Management and Seasonal planning processes.
- Oversee efforts to improve profitability through cost reduction, cost avoidance, and process improvement.
- Manages and monitors key performance metrics to ensure operational effectiveness.
- Responsible for supply chain vendor compliance through our delivery process and vendor contacts.
- Lead efforts to identify opportunities to further leverage our ERP and other software solutions to drive process improvements throughout our Supply Chain and other business processes.
- Manage the complexity and regulation of international and domestic transportation.
- Oversee the negotiations, evaluation, and analysis of 3 rd party logistics/brokers.
- People leadership and development of a great team of 12 individuals in the areas of
transportation, compliance, replenishment, and deployment.
- 4-year degree in business administration, supply chain, or logistics and eight to ten years of progressive responsibility within replenishment, purchasing, inventory management and/or supply chain.
- A solid understanding of supply chain knowledge and methodologies.
- A strong work history in managing a centralized purchasing department that includes forecasting, purchasing, inventory management, and contract administration.
- Possess excellent analytical skills, be capable of critical thinking, and demonstrate a solid knowledge of company finances.
- Proven experience with building strong partnerships with Sales, Product Management, Customer Service, Distribution, Logistics, and other business partners to drive best service at lowest total cost.
- Solid interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated leadership abilities and a sense of urgency to resolve problems effectively are all critical to success on the job.
- Strong knowledge of end-to-end supply chain process in a multi-channel environment.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of assortment forecasting, planning & inventory management processes including link to long range business strategy.
- Must have a working knowledge of forecasting, allocation, purchasing and replenishment systems with JD Edwards or similar ERP system.
- Must be able to influence Executive Leadership through strong critical thinking and leveraging change management techniques.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize projects to meet and exceed company business goals.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, familiarity with SQL and relational databases.
Position will require approximately 10-20% travel.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields