The Automation & Controls Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing automated engineering solutions for plant operations, quality, processing and logistics teams; managing medium to high complexity projects, ensuring safe operations for employees and contractors.
This position is the plant subject matter expert for robotics, automation, sensors, PLC’s, HMI’s, data communication solutions (Ethernet & wireless), vision and inspection programs. Is responsible for the basic design, integration and implementation of intermediate to complex engineering solutions; understands and executes the capital appropriation request process and oversees projects.
Possess the skills knowledge and abilities to program PLC’s (Siemens preferred), is a competent Industrial Electrician with 3-phase, 480V, and or industrial troubleshooting experience to assemble, install, test and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand, power, and precision measuring tools.
The Automation & Controls Engineer diagnoses malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
The Automation & Controls Engineer is responsible for the connection of wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components. Responsible for observing and following all safety regulations with required PPE.
• Areas of responsibility include the design or development of new process control systems or revision of existing processes; developing and coordinating implementation of World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects which contribute to plant profitability; assist with preparing programs for computer control systems; and prepare and coordinate operational information and data for the plant management.
• Internal contacts include heads of production, maintenance and quality, etc and securing appropriate resources to plan and implement controls projects. • External contacts include consultants and suppliers to determine the compatibility of other systems, products and personnel as they may apply to WCM and Controls.
• Maintains records of plant and individual equipment performance. • Prepares data sheets, diagrams and flow charts needed for the correct and efficient operation of the plant equipment.
• Develops and maintains standard operating procedures and work instructions. • Uses advanced PLC / Controls tools to reduce process variations.
Knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and program PLC’s – (Siemens preferred)
Proven PLC programming (Siemens preferred).
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible electrical/automation experience;
Completion of a four-year federally approved technical training program in electrical repair and maintenance and two (2) years electrical experience;
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved