Bioprocess Engineer/ Scientist for San Leandro, CA area!
San Leandro, CA
Bioprocess Engineer / Scientist
Engineering · San Leandro, California
Imagine a meat company unlike anything that has come before! We are on a mission to impact climate change by revolutionizing how we make meat. Founded in 2019, we make protein from elements of the air.
This is a modern food company, crafting the world’s first air-based meats to feed us more sustainably, help renew the planet’s resources and eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air around us into protein using probiotic cultures, then turn those proteins into any meat imaginable. It’s where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
Join our team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to transform the future of food with solutions we never thought possible, creating meat that is nutritious, delicious and more sustainable. We use less land, less water and is significantly faster to make than any other meat available.
In addition to the chance to work with cutting edge technology to help combat climate change and working toward addressing the impending food crisis, our employees also enjoy competitive benefits and total compensation plans and a collaborative company culture. If you join us on this relentless pursuit for more, changing the world will soon feel as natural as taking a breath.
The company is funded by ADM, a world leader in fermentation technology, GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Barclays, one of the world’s leading financial institutions.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Bioprocess Engineer / Scientist is an experienced chemical engineer, biochemist or related occupation that is responsible for the safe operation of fermentation systems in the company. This role would play a significant part in optimizing the processes of fermentation delivery.
This role is actively responsible to:
- Apply engineering principles, research theories, and models to design and plan experiments and research activities related to bioreactors and/or fermentation.
- Operate, troubleshoot, and optimize bioreactors and/or fermenters.
- Install, setup, and commission laboratory scale bioreactors.
- Communicate findings to internal project teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Write and review technical documentation including reports, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and engineering design packages
- Preparing and giving presentations to internal teams, clients, and potential investors
- Review literature and journal articles to inform program efforts
- Communicate findings to internal project teams and management.
- Understand and execute on installation, commissioning, and start-up of fermentation lines.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of Management of Change (MoC) systems specific to the fermentation operations.
- Maintain safety in the operation of fermenters/bioreactors and support Project Safety Management (PSM) for the facility.
- Chemical or biochemical engineering degree with 5+ years of experience in a biotech, pharmaceutical, biofuel, or food fermentation operations role.
- Expertise in cGMP food and/or pharmaceutical operations.
- Able to recognize when optimization, correction, or custom changes are necessary – ability to troubleshoot and manage operations.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to act proactively to create exceptional experiences for internal and external audiences.
- Possess a customer first mentality with all stakeholders.
- Superlative communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate with tangible and lasting shaping of core values and standards.
- Experience in gas fermentation is an asset.
- Experience with managing and safely using hazardous gases and high-pressure systems is an asset. Understands chemical reactions and engineering.
- Demonstrable experience in building a supply chain from scratch is an asset but not required.
- Professional experience in roles requiring both independent creativity and collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Understand the use of technology as a competitive differentiator
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields