This role is for that automation engineer who has experience developing and managing automation projects. This is a customer facing role to understand external and internal customer requirements. In the process of developing automation projects, this position will contribute to cost justifications, technical assessments, component selection, process development and equipment and process qualifications. Additional responsibilities to include collaborating internally with development teams in the company’s manufacturing plants that will receive the equipment and produce products.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage and / or lead automation projects from concept through validation and factory acceptance.
- Manage and / or lead engineering team(s) through development of innovative assembly processes to improve existing or new complex device assembly.
- Ensure projects have clear scope & schedule and tied to PO commit dates that support the scope and schedule.
- Ensure projects are well planned and work with all departments and entities across business to ensure projects are well executed.
- Works closely with sales personnel on new opportunities. Interacts with customer engineer to Interpret customer drawings, specifications, and workmanship standards in order to design, develop, and implement automated systems.
- Drives the preparation and presents technical solution as part of our proposal to customers including fielding technical queries.
- Ensure that all project documentation is created and revision controlled, including design files, validation protocol and reports, operational procedures, preventative maintenance plans, etc.
- Source vendors and internal design capabilities to create custom automation solutions, ranging from turn-key systems to individual automation components. Must be able to communicate professionally with customers and vendors.
- Provide support to production engineers and process engineers to manage the process start up and validation activities.
- Lead discussions between leadership and key stakeholders to determine automation capabilities and goals.
- Support existing automation technology.
- Develop cost estimates in preparation for cost benefit analysis of automation opportunities.
- Help develop list of approved automation vendors.
- Research new technologies and methodologies to use in current / future projects. Help drive automation strategy by developing platform technologies that can be leveraged across projects.
- Quote new automation lines, engineering services, etc. Develop design concepts for new automation.
- Write validation, user requirements (URS), equipment specification (FRS), and other documents as needed.
- *Other duties may be assigned*
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, B.S. Manufacturing Engineering, B.S. Industrial Engineering, or equivalent and/or 5-10 years’ experience in a similar position. Manufacturing or medical/pharmaceutical industry experience preferred – primarily with mechanical components or component / device manufacturing.
Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English required.
- Bilingual – English, Spanish, and /or Chinese is helpful.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to be self-managed
- Strong interpersonal relationship/customer skills
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal) with emphasis on active listening and technical documentation.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write technical protocols and reports
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other employees, managers, or customers.
- Able to travel internationally i.e. Mexico & China
- Broad engineering abilities and understanding of electrical, mechanical, and mfg/industrial engineering disciplines
- Proficient with SolidWorks, AutoCAD and/or Creo
- Statistical software – Minitab
- PLC Programming experience i.e. Allen Bradley, Siemens and others including programming software.
- At least one of the following required:
- Injection molding, extrusion, or thermoforming with secondary assembly experience
- Medical Assembly experience including validation knowledge
- Precision assembly requiring high degree of process qualification
- Proficient with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and Project
- Six Sigma green belt or black belt preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is performed in a normal office environment with minimal physical risks involved. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.
This company is dedicated to identifying and reducing the environmental impact of its operations, activities, and products. It is our commitment to comply with all applicable laws and other regulatory requirements concerning the environment. We are committed to preventing pollution and continually improving our environmental performance in all global operations. This will be achieved through a comprehensive environmental management system that provides the framework for setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets of the company.
20% to 50% – to company manufacturing sites as needed.
To comply with some state laws, the annual base salary range for this position has been provided. The range given is broad and should be considered as a guideline only. Our client will consider a candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, the salaries of current employees in similar roles, and other factors when extending an offer.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields