Automation and Weld Engineer
Automation and Weld Engineer – NE IN
The Automation, Controls and Weld Engineer, Shared Services or plant operations is a member of the Advanced Manufacturing Engineering group and operations group at plant level, and reports to the Senior Manager, Automation Controls and Weld Engineering or Plant Manufacturing Engineering Manager. This position is responsible for the oversite of all automated equipment and weld processes at all facilities, existing and future. Uses programming, controls, and engineering skills to perform improvements, assist plants in trouble shooting of existing, and development of new value-add equipment for awarded business. Responsible for developing new welding techniques, new procedures, and new applications of welding and metal assembly equipment. Responsible for problem solving that involves assembly of metals and utilizes knowledge of the latest general engineering principles to improve machine efficiency and process improvement. Addresses any engineering changes, and ensures all processes are performed efficiently and meet, or exceed, customer and Company requirements. Works with the Cost Estimating group to ensure that any newly awarded business has the correct and most cost-efficient method for value-add equipment. Focus on commonization of equipment and processes across the company.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop, estimate, purchase & implement assembly tooling & equipment for projects.
- Develop, estimate and gain quotes for new assembly processes as future business dictates.
- Assist in development of the most efficient process layouts and product flow based on TQPS.
- Communicate project status to other departments and manufacturing plants as required.
- Manage suppliers in the design, construction, and installation of new assembly equipment.
- Assist plants in the development and maintenance of work instructions that will be in compliance with general TS-16949 requirements.
- Responsible to interface with internal/external customers and support plant team members in problem solving with regard to production, customer, and supplier concerns.
- Develop Engineering solutions to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to product or processes.
- Create and manage purchase orders for new assembly equipment.
Automation and Controls
- To implement, tune, maintain, repair, troubleshoot or alter automated equipment.
- Troubleshoot and track automation issues to perform root cause analysis.
- Support the development, construction, and installation of new automated equipment.
- Modify or design machine programming on new or existing automated equipment.
- Analyze automated equipment for continuous improvement and give recommendations to help the plants improve their automated manufacturing/ assembly processes.
- Assist with materials to support training, to include predictive and preventative maintenance programs for automated types of equipment.
- Maintain automated equipment program backups.
- Develop process and production plans for new welding automotive products.
- Works closely with Product Engineering group on Simultaneous Engineering activities.
- Research & Develop new advancements in Welding equipment and Processes that might be useful to Company. – Examples: (Cold Metal Transfer) (Laser Welding) (Laser Brazing)
- Prepares technical reports as a result of the new research, development, and preventative maintenance investigations.
- Establish weld procedures to guide production team relating to specifications/processes.
- Supports technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure worker’s compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards in the Automotive Industry.
- Performs experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques, and materials.
- To actively contribute to the Simultaneous Engineering activities where welding processes can impact machine design.
Education: (list using bullet points)
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering / Industrial Electronics / Robotics / Electrical Controls / Automation / Metallurgy.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, equivalent experience in the field is acceptable.
- 5 or more years’ experience in automotive metal manufacturing preferred.
- 3 – 5 years working experience in a related field.
- Automotive manufacturing experience in machine control preferred.
- Value-add equipment build experience preferred.
- Troubleshooting equipment experience preferred.
- Working experience with electrical and mechanical systems and Robotics / PLC programming and troubleshooting.
- Experience in the development and maintenance of welding programs and equipment (Resistance, Projection, and GMAW).
- Experience in design and/or quote of weld programs and/or automation equipment.
- Experience with MIG welding and resistance welding. Certified A.W.S. or equivalent is considered a plus.
- Basic math
- Analytical / critical thinking skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highly motivated, ambitious self-starter.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects.
- Possess strong project management skills.
- Strong understanding for elimination of waste.
- General understanding of APQP requirements.
- Ability to compile effective and concise visual reports.
- Working knowledge of P.M. systems and methodology.
- Able to work in a fast paced, multicultural work environment.
- Familiar with root cause analysis and problem-solving methods.
- Strong understanding of steel stampings and welding processes.
- Ability to maintain on call flexibility to control abnormal conditions.
- Active listener with effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a constantly changing production environment.
- General understanding and working knowledge of basic engineering principles.
- Ability to read component, assembly, and equipment drawings and specifications.
- Active listener with effective leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function both independently and with good judgment in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of safety legislation in general industry and press related standards.
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels inside and outside of the organization.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, in a leadership role during plant product launches.
- Ability to implement controls and maintain safety, quality, cost, for assigned areas.
- Working knowledge of equipment automation, robotics, and manufacturing processes.
- Must be able to compile information and report that to the organization in a timely manner.
- Basic knowledge Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA) is preferable.
- Ability to troubleshoot and track issues, drive root cause analysis and correct suppliers.
- Ability to read and evaluate electrical, mechanical, and customer part drawings.
- Strong understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, work efficiently within time constraints and deadlines, and handle stressful situations.
- General understanding and working knowledge of manufacturing, assembly, and welding equipment and tooling including design, automation, robotics, or manufacturing processes (and all secondary related processes) relating to automotive stamping.
- Thorough understanding of company product, trade terminology, quality management and control systems and techniques, manufacturing processes including material controls, work flow, scheduling, machine operation, and company policies as standards.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language (English) used in the workplace.
- Solid working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and other computer-based applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Working knowledge and experience with AutoCad, Rockwell Software: Logix500, Logix5000, PanelBuilder32, FactoryTalkView, DriveExplorer, Siemens, and other related software.
- Proficiency in design and engineering software, AutoCAD software (mechanical and electrical) preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience with programming for PLCs, robots, HMIs is required.
- PLCs robots, HMIs, motors, servos, hydraulics, pneumatics and other related equipment experience is required.
- Platforms: Mitsubishi FX, A, Q and Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, FlexLogix, CompactLogix, and SoftLogix, Siemens, Fanuc, ABB, and Panasonic.
- Architectures: Local, ControlNet, Ethernet I/P, DeviceNet, DH+/RIO, DF1, and RS232/422.
- New Hire Orientation
- Environmental, Health, & Safety
- TS16949/ISO 14001
- Introduction to Lean
- Associate Involvement
- Workplace Organization – 5S
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
Office: Open Office Environment
Plant: Various types of manufacturing environments.
- Standard automotive plant environment with moderate noise level.
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as safety glasses, steel toe shoes, Kevlar sleeves, hearing protection, etc. may be required in designated manufacturing, or industrial areas. Personal attire standards may apply.
- Involves moderate or occasional presence of some slightly disagreeable conditions, i.e., cold, dust, heat, odor, etc.
- Moderate, must be able to travel to other plants in U.S., Canada, and Mexico to support commonality in Engineering Solutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Although the primary job functions involve the ability to sit and work on a computer and in an office situation for extensive periods of time, the associate must be capable of walking, sitting, and standing for extended periods of time. The associate is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms; and talk, see, and hear. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must frequently lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and infrequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Back To Job Board
Submit Your Resume
"*" indicates required fields